The Domestic Violence & Healthy Relationships for the Women of David L. Moss Criminal Justice Center (Tulsa County Jail) began September 2008 when a small group of concerned citizen volunteers approached DVIS/Call Rape with a proposal to provide domestic violence awareness education to incarcerated women at the jail. DVIS/Call Rape shared their extensive library of videos and books, their training materials and a few hours of their expertise. From there, the organizers established a training program and trained a number of local volunteers. As of September 2010, the program at the jail has engage approximately 19 volunteers and 6 salaried people representing 4 collaborative organizations to conduct 2-hour classes every Wednesday and Friday on 8 topics. Included are two women representing DVIS/Call and Family Safety Center who go into the women's living areas once a month. An estimated 260 incarcerated women have participated in the classes.
The women of David L. Moss sign up to request to participate in the 8 session (4 week classes). Average class is 8-12 participants. Class topics currently include the following:
- What is Domestic Violence?
- Healthy Relationships
- DV & Children
- DV & Religion
- Jobs and Resumes (Resonance Center for Women, Inc.)
- DV & Sexual Assault; Contraceptives for Women at Risk (George Kaiser Family Foundation)
- DVIS/Call Rape Day (DVIS/Call Rape Representative & Survivor)
- Wrap Up and Worship
In months with more than 4 Wednesdays/ Fridays, classes may include Community Resources, Substance Abuse, Awareness Mat, PTSD, and other topics suggested by the women of David L. Moss.
Recent participants praise the program saying:
- Thank you so much for helping me let go of the abuse I have had in the past and see that I am better than that so I can move forward to better things.
- Thank you very much for making this class happen. It has made a huge impact in my life!
- You are changing lives! Thank you so much.
The Domestic Violence & Healthy Relationships classes for the Women of David L. Moss Criminal Justice Center is a collaborative effort DVIS/Call Rape, Tulsa Metropolitan Ministries, Tulsa County Sheriff's Office, and Resonance Center for Women, Inc. The program is an example of the value of volunteers providing significantly more services than DVIS/Call Rape staff, or any one organization alone, could provide without the important help and support of volunteers. Our clients and the community at large gain great benefit from the efforts of volunteers such as these.